Re: pg_shmem_allocations view

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_shmem_allocations view
Date: 2014-08-18 17:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I thought you were printing actual pointer addresses. If you're just
> printing offsets relative to wherever the segment happens to be
> mapped, I don't care about that.

Well, that just means that it's not an *obvious* security risk.

I still like the idea of providing something comparable to
MemoryContextStats, rather than creating a SQL interface. The problem
with a SQL interface is you can't interrogate it unless (1) you are not
already inside a query and (2) the client is interactive and under your
control. Something you can call easily from gdb is likely to be much
more useful in practice.