Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context
Date: 2015-01-22 11:37:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I just heard that there's going to be a fifth CF for 9.5 so I'm trying
to gather all the patches I'd like to see in 9.5..

On 8/23/13 10:36 AM, I wrote:
> My opinion at this very moment is that we should leave the the DEFAULT
> verbosity alone and add a new one (call it COMPACT or such) with the
> suppressed context for non-ERRORs.

I wonder if a better option would be to add a GUC to control this from
the server side. plpgsql.suppress_simple_error_context or such,
defaulting to false to maintain full backwards compatibility. That
could be set to true for development installations and for client
programs which only care about having all information available, rather
than readability or aesthetics.

Or is that a stupid idea? I just think hacking libpq for something like
this is a huge overkill.

.marko