Re: [RFC] LSN Map

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] LSN Map
Date: 2015-01-08 19:18:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/7/15, 3:50 AM, Marco Nenciarini wrote:
> The current implementation tracks only heap LSN. It currently does not
> track any kind of indexes, but this can be easily added later.

Would it make sense to do this at a buffer level, instead of at the heap level? That means it would handle both heap and indexes. I don't know if LSN is visible that far down though.

Also, this pattern is repeated several times; it would be good to put it in it's own function:
+ lsnmap_pin(reln, blkno, &lmbuffer);
+ lsnmap_set(reln, blkno, lmbuffer, lsn);
+ ReleaseBuffer(lmbuffer);