Re: jsonb generator functions

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb generator functions
Date: 2014-12-12 18:10:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/08/2014 01:00 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 12/08/2014 04:21 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> OK, here is a new patch version that
>>>
>>> * uses find_coercion_path() to find the cast function if any, as
>>> discussed elsewhere
>>> * removes calls to getTypeOutputInfo() except where required
>>> * honors a cast to json only for rendering both json and jsonb
>>> * adds processing for the date type that was previously missing in
>>> datum_to_jsonb
>> Did this go anywhere?
>>

> Not, yet. I hope to get to it this week.

OK, here is a new version.

The major change is that the aggregate final functions now clone the
transition value rather than modifying it directly, avoiding a similar
nearby error which Tom fixed recently.

Also here is a patch factored out which applies the
find_coercion_pathway change to json.c. I'm inclined to say we should
backpatch this to 9.4 (and with a small change 9.3). Thoughts?

cheers

andrew