Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Phil Currier <pcurrier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering)
Date: 2014-12-11 06:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/10/2014 09:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>>> This should really be on its own thread for discussion... I'm leaning,
>>> at the moment at least, towards the September release schedule. I agree
>>> that having a later release would allow us to get more into it, but
>>> there's a lot to be said for the consistency we've kept up over the past
>>> few years with a September (our last non-September release was 8.4).
>
>> Can we please NOT discuss this in the thread about someone's patch? Thanks.
>
> Quite. So, here's a new thread.
>
> MHO is that, although 9.4 has slipped more than any of us would like,
> 9.5 development launched right on time in August. So I don't see a
> good reason to postpone 9.5 release just because 9.4 has slipped.
> I think we should stick to the schedule agreed to in Ottawa last spring.
>
> Comments?

If anything, it seems like a great reason to try to get 9.5 out BEFORE
we open the tree for 9.6/10.0/Cloud++. While there were technical
issues, 9.4 dragged a considerable amount because most people were
ignoring it in favor of 9.5 development.

So far, I haven't seen any features for 9.5 which would delay a more
timely release the way we did for 9.4. Anybody know of a bombshell
someone's going to drop on us for CF5?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.