Re: Add regression tests for autocommit-off mode for psql and fix some omissions

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Feike Steenbergen <feikesteenbergen(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Add regression tests for autocommit-off mode for psql and fix some omissions
Date: 2014-10-06 23:41:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/6/14, 9:59 AM, Feike Steenbergen wrote:
> It would test that when setting AUTOCOMMIT to off that you will not run into:
>
> ERROR: [...] cannot run inside a transaction block
>
> when issuing one of these PreventTransactionChain commands. In
> src/bin/psql/common.c

Yes, but what happens when a new non-transaction command is added? If we forget to exclude it in psql, we'll certainly also forget to add it to the unit test.

The options I see...

1) If there's a definitive way to tell from backend source code what commands disallow transactions then we can just use that information to generate the list of commands psql shouldn't do that with.

2) Always run the regression test with auto-commit turned off.

3) Run the regression in both modes (presumably only on the build farm due to how long it would take).