Re: delta relations in AFTER triggers

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: delta relations in AFTER triggers
Date: 2014-09-26 00:39:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/25/2014 11:54 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I have fixed the bug reported by Heikki; be sure to grab that.

Will do.

> I have been merging in changes to master as I go, so that bit rot
> doesn't accumulate, but I don't squash or rebase; hopefully that
> style works for you.

IMO it only really matters before the final push to master; before then
it's all just a matter of how you prefer to work.

I'm a big fan of rebasing my feature branches as I go:

git tag before-rebase
git pull --rebase
... do any merges during rebase ...
git tag -d before-rebase

For bug fixes I tend to commit them separately, then when I rebase I
squash them into the relevant patch. Git's "fixup! " commits are really
handy for this; if I have a commit:

Add widget support

Everyone wants more widgets.

and want to fix an issue in that commit I can just commit

fixup! Add widget support

It's spelled widget not wodget

and when I "git rebase --autosquash master" they get automatically
squashed into the relevant changeset. (I usually run with the config
rebase.autosquash enabled so this happens during my rebase pulls on top
of master).

I got in the habit while working on RLS, to keep me sane with that
patchset, and find it works well for me.

However, everyone has a different work style. Colour me happy if it's in
git at all.