Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2

From: Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2
Date: 2014-09-06 16:12:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/06/2014 04:21 AM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:

> We wrap these things into (sometimes) simple-looking function so that
> none of the application developers ever run any SQL. We define an
> interface between the application and the database, and that interface
> is implemented using PL/PgSQL functions. Sure, sometimes one function
> will just fire off a single UPDATE .. RETURNING, or a SELECT, but that
> doesn't matter. The trick is to be consistent everywhere.

There is precisely your root problem. Instead of educating your
application developers on how to properly use a relational database
system, you try to make it foolproof.

Guess what, the second you made something foolproof, evolution will
create a dumber fool. This is a race you cannot win.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Wieck