Re: How can we make beta testing better?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can we make beta testing better?
Date: 2014-05-09 18:01:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/26/2014 12:39 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 4/17/14, 6:42 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> So we have some software we've been procrastinating on OSS'ing, which
>> does:
>>
>> 1) Takes full query CSV logs from a running postgres instance
>> 2) Runs them against a target instance in parallel
>> 3) Records response times for all queries
>
> Is that the stuff you'd worked on for us forever ago? I thought that was
> just pgreplay based, but now I don't remember.

Yes. It's based around the same principles as pgreplay -- a replay from
logs -- but used python and multiprocess to allow for much higher levels
of concurrency as well as not completely halting due to deadlock errors.

However, this is all a bit of a tangent. While we want to give users
better tools for testing, we also need some reasonable way to get them
*involved* in testing. That's the main thing I was looking for feedback on.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.