Re: 9.4 release notes

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.4 release notes
Date: 2014-05-05 17:40:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/04/2014 05:46 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have completed the initial version of the 9.4 release notes. You can
> view them here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release-9-4.html
>
> I will be adding additional markup in the next few days.
>
> Feedback expected and welcomed. I expect to be modifying this until we
> release 9.4 final. I have marked items where I need help with question
> marks.

Major enhancement list:

Per discussion on the -advocacy list, the features we've picked out as
"major enhancements" for advocacy reasons this round are:

* Materialized Views (because with refresh concurrently, MatViews are
now useful, which they weren't, very, in 9.3)

* Logical Decoding/Changeset Extraction which we're calling "Data Change
Streaming API" in the advocacy stuff. Not sure if you want to use that
name in the technical realease notes.

* Dynamic Background Workers (this one is a major feature, but won't be
front-listed in advocacy doc because it's hard to explain and nobody's
built anything cool with it yet. But it should go under major
enhancements in the release notes)

* JSONB and related features (such as indexing)

* ALTER SYSTEM SET

Lemme know if you need description text for any of the above.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.