Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD
Date: 2014-04-23 00:07:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/22/2014 06:43 PM, Mark Wong wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Joshua D. Drake
> <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com <mailto:jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>> wrote:
>

> On 04/22/2014 08:26 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
> I'm going away tomorrow for a few days R&R. when I'm back next
> week I
> will set up a demo client running this module. If you can have
> a machine
> prepped for this purpose by then so much the better, otherwise
> I will
> have to drag out a box I recently rescued and have been
> waiting for
> something to use it with. It's more important that it's stable
> (i.e.
> nothing else running on it) than that it's very powerful. It
> could be
>
> running Ubuntu or some Redhattish variant or, yes, even FreeBSD.
>

> This is best handled by Mark. Mark can you help Andrew with this?
> I assume we would use the DL385 with the MS70?
>

> Yeah, I can help. But let me know if Alfred's offer is preferred.

I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but I'd rather start off with
one machine. I would find it easiest if it were on something like
CentOS6.5.

When we have that running and reporting like we want it we can add a
FreeBSD server.

The idea is that these machines would be available for a long time,
ideally quite a few years. We want to have them with a stable time
series of performance data so that when something disturbs the
performance it sticks out like a sore thumb.

cheers

andrew