Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"
Date: 2013-09-17 07:37:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Apt.pgdg got the patch present in postgresql head applyed.
>
> Erm, isn't apt.postgresql.org supposed to ship the *official*
> PostgreSQL versions? Given that this issue affects all distros, I
> don't see why Ubuntu/Debian need to be patched separately.

Well, the patches are applyed on the debian packages (not only in
apt.pgdg.org).
The packages provided by apt.postgresql.org are based on the 'official
packages' from debian. (if you allow me this circle)

> Does anyone else think this is problematic? By slipping patches into
> distro-specific packages, you're confusing users (like me) and
> bypassing the PostgreSQL QA process.

The QA is about distribution of packages here. Debian applies 14 patches
on 9.3 builds, not only the things about vpath we're talking about.

> PS: Where are the sources used to build packages on
> apt.postgresql.org?

9.3:
http://anonscm.debian.org/loggerhead/pkg-postgresql/postgresql-9.3/trunk/changes

--