Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-02-26 15:39:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/26/2014 02:17 AM, Christophe Pettus wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> It is not in any specs, but nevertheless all major imlementations do it and
>> some code depends on it.
> I have no doubt that some code depends on it, but "all major implementations" is too strong a statement. BSON, in particular, does not have stable field order.

Not only is it "not in any specs", it's counter to the spec I have been
following <https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt>, which quite
categorically states that an object is an UNORDERED collection. Any
application which relies on the ordering of object fields being
preserved is broken IMNSHO, and I would not feel the least guilt about
exposing their breakage.

cheers

andrew