Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-02-05 19:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/05/2014 02:03 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Frankly, if it were entirely up to me HSTORE2 would be part of core and
> its only interface would be JSONB. But it's not. So this is a compromise.

You could only do that by inventing a new type. But hstore2 isn't a new
type, it's meant to be the existing hstore type with new capabilities.

Incidentally, some work is being done by one of my colleagues on an
extension of gin/gist operators for indexing jsonb similarly to hstore2.
Now that will possibly be something we can bring into 9.4, although
we'll have to check how we go about pg_upgrade for that case.

cheers

andrew