Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-01-31 14:45:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/31/2014 08:57 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hmm,
>> neither me, nor Teodor have experience and knowledge with
>> populate_record() and moreover hstore here is virgin and we don't know
>> the right behaviour, so I think we better take it from jsonb, once
>> Andrew realize it. Andrew ?
> Andrew Gierth wrote the current implementation of htsore
> populate_record IIRC. Unfortunately the plan for jsonb was to borrow
> hstore's (I don't think hstore can use the jsonb implementation
> because you'd be taking away the ability to handle internally nested
> structures it currently has). Of my two complaints upthread, the
> second one, not being able to populate from and internally well formed
> structure, is by far the more serious one I think.

Umm, I think at least one of us is seriously confused.

I am going to look at dealing with these issues in a way that can be
used by both - at least the populate_record case.

As far as populate_record goes, there is a bit of an impedance mismatch,
since json/hstore records are heterogenous and one-dimensional, whereas
sql arrays are homogeneous and multidimensional. Right now I am thinking
I will deal with arrays up to two dimensions, because I can do that
relatively simply, and after that throw in the towel. That will surely
deal with 99.9% of use cases. Of course this would be documented.

Anyway, Let me see what I can do.

If Andrew Gierth wants to have a look at fixing the hstore() side that
might help speed things up.

cheers

andrew