Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-01-28 16:26:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/28/2014 11:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 01/28/2014 10:50 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> + </indexterm><indexterm>
>> + <primary>jsonb_each</primary>
>> + </para></entry>
>>> This SGML nesting is odd and hard to read. Please place opening tags in
>>> separate lines (or at least not immediately following a closing tag). I
>>> am not sure whether the mentions of jsonb_each vs. json_each there are
>>> correct or typos. This also occurs in other places.
>> As I understand it, an <entry> tag can only contain block-level elements
>> like <para> if there are no inline elements (including white space).
> Practically every existing use of <indexterm> is freer than this in its
> use of whitespace. It sounds to me like maybe you are trying to put the
> <indexterm> inside something it shouldn't go inside of.

The problem is not the indexterm element, it's the space that might
exist outside it. Are we using block level elements like <para> inside
entry elements anywhere else? If not, then your observation is not
relevant. If there are no block level elements then AIUI we can space
things out how we like inside the entry element.

If you can show me how else legally to get a line break inside an entry
element I'm very interested. I tried several things before I found this
way of making it work.

cheers

andrew