Re: Minor patch for the uuid-ossp extension

From: Oskari Saarenmaa <os(at)ohmu(dot)fi>
To: Mario Weilguni <roadrunner6(at)gmx(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Minor patch for the uuid-ossp extension
Date: 2013-11-23 14:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

23.11.2013 14:12, Mario Weilguni kirjoitti:
> Am 22.11.2013 16:15, schrieb Tom Lane:
>> [ memo to self: never, ever accept another contrib module whose name
>> isn't a plain SQL identifier ]
>
> Well, in that case and since this is a rarely used extension (I guess
> so), maybe it would be the best to simply rename that extension to
> uuidossp (or whatever) and don't make any special treatment for it?

There are a couple of threads about issues with uuid-ossp (AIUI it's
abandonware at this point). If PostgreSQL had a proper PRNG with a
128-bit state it could just implement uuid_generate_v4() function in
core and most people could probably drop uuid-ossp.

I have a branch[1] which implements uuid_generate_v4 in core using
pg_lrand48, but since it only has 48 bits of state it's probably not an
acceptable replacement for uuid-ossp for now.

Is anyone working on a new PRNG for PostgreSQL at the moment?

/ Oskari

[1] https://github.com/saaros/postgres/compare/core-uuid-v4