Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Replace duplicate_oids with Perl implementation

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Replace duplicate_oids with Perl implementation
Date: 2013-11-13 13:56:02
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

>> What exactly is your argument, here?
> If we change unused_oids to a Perl implementation, we will add
> additional inconvenience to users who don't have /usr/bin/perl in that
> exact location. Versus allowing use by users who don't have /bin/sh. I
> don't know what the ratio between those two camps is, among potential
> users of unused_oids.

According to my count we currently have 30 instances of scripts with
this shebang line. That includes things not called from makefiles, such
as pgindent.

I don't recall this causing an issue.

For any small group of people that might exists who don't have
/usr/bin/perl, they have a simple workaround to call "perl unused_oids".

Can we please get on with dealing with real problems? I don't believe
this is one.

cheers

andrew