Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2013-10-15 01:00:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2013/10/13 0:14), Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> But maybe pglz is just not a good fit for this, it really
>> isn't a very good algorithm in this day and aage.
+1. This compression algorithm is needed more faster than pglz which is like
general compression algorithm, to avoid the CPU bottle-neck. I think pglz doesn't
have good performance, and it is like fossil compression algorithm. So we need to
change latest compression algorithm for more better future.

> Do you think that if WAL reduction or performance with other
> compression algorithm (for ex. snappy) is better, then chances of
> getting the new compression algorithm in postresql will be more?
Latest compression algorithms papers(also snappy) have indecated. I think it is
enough to select algorithm. It may be also good work in postgres.

Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center