Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat
Date: 2013-09-08 23:19:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8.9.2013 23:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> (2013/09/04 13:07), Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> We already changed it:
>>

>>> commit 187492b6c2e8cafc5b39063ca3b67846e8155d24 Author: Alvaro
>>> Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> Date: Mon Feb 18 17:56:08
>>> 2013 -0300
>>>
>>> Split pgstat file in smaller pieces
>>
>> Thanks for the comments. I forgot to mention that.
>>
>> Yes, we have already split single pgstat.stat file into several
>> pieces.
>>
>> However, we still need to read/write large amount of statistics
>> data when we have a large number of tables in single database or
>> multiple databases being accessed. Right?
>
> Do you have a test case for measuring this? I vaguely remember from
> when I was testing the split patch, that I thought that after that
> improvement the load that was left was so low that there was little
> point in optimizing it further.

This is actually a pretty good point. Creating a synthetic test case is
quite simple - just create 1.000.000 tables in a single database, but
I'm wondering if it's actually realistic. Do we have a real-world
example where the current "one stat file per db" is not enough?

The reason why I worked on the split patch is that our application is
slightly crazy and creates a lot of tables (+ indexes) on the fly, and
as we have up to a thousand databases on each host, we often ended up
with a huge stat file.

Splitting the stat file improved that considerably, although that's
partially because we have the stats on a tmpfs, so I/O is not a problem,
and the CPU overhead is negligible thanks to splitting the stats per
database.

But AFAIK there are operating systems where creating a filesystem in RAM
is not that simple - e.g. Windows. In such cases even a moderate number
of objects may be a significant issue I/O-wise. But then again, I can't
really think of reasonable a system creating that many objects in a
single database (except for e.g. a shared database using schemas instead
of databases).

Tomas