Re: pg_dump/restore encoding woes

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump/restore encoding woes
Date: 2013-08-27 16:12:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/27/2013 11:14 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 27.08.2013 18:03, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> On 08/27/2013 10:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> 0001-Divorce-pg_dump-E-option-from-PGCLIENTENCODING.patch
>>>
>>> Separates pg_dump -E from PGCLIENTENCODING.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to do this another way? Separating these two will
>> be confusing, to say the least, as well as inconsistent with what os
>> done elsewhere.
>
> What would it be inconsistent with? There is no -E option in other
> client tools, pg_dump is unique in that. initdb does have a -E option,
> but that *is* separate from PGCLIENTENCODING, so if anything the
> current situation is inconsistent.

Yeah, you're right, I was probably thinking of initdb, although it
doesn't so much separate these as ignore PGCLIENTENCODING completely.

I guess I'm mainly concerned that we're going to make one of these do
something different, and it will be hard to remember which is which, at
least for me (brain cells are no doubt dying at an ever increasing rate
as I approach my seventh decade.)

cheers

andrew