Re: pg_system_identifier()

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_system_identifier()
Date: 2013-08-22 15:45:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

Vik's feature would be useful for detecting an accidental split in a
replication cluster. That is, it would be another tool for detecting if
you've made a mistake and created two masters. So +1 from me.

It will also be useful for me for sharding. Right now, I'm doing a
hackish version of Vik's function, so I'd be glad to have it in core.

However, given that the value is the same for all servers in a
replication set, are we sure we want to call it system_identifier? Is
there a better name?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.