Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- wrapping it up

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- wrapping it up
Date: 2013-08-07 23:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Michael who?

Blackwell, asssistant CFM for this CF.

> 9.4 CF1? Where are you recording the names? In the commitfest app?

Right now in a googledoc. The CF app has no such capability now,
although Magnus' new app might in the future.

> OK, so the process is independent of commit activity. You realize that
> if someone significantly modifies a patch we already have them in the
> commit message as an author and on the release note item, right? So you
> are really looking for reviews that modify the patch but not enough for
> a committer to include their name in the commit message as an author.

Oh, good point, I can look at the commit messages for where I don't need
to bother. However, you pointed out that *during* CF1, the committers
*didn't know* that they were supposed to include reviewers who did
"major work" in the commit message. And they might miss them in the future.

> Anyone can commit patches to the release notes. I am unlikely to do it,
> as I lack confidence in the process, for reasons already outlined.

Bruce, you are steadfastly resistant to change of any kind.

>> That's why it'll be a social process. Next week I'll be posting a list
>> of patches and reviewers from CF1 to this list for other people to
>> correct and expand. Just like the code itself, if everybody reviews the
>> list of reviewers, it'll be as good as we can get it.
>
> OK, at least that is a plan. Is that your plan for the future too?

Sure. It's the open source way.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.