Speed up Switchover

From: TJ <tj(at)wallago(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Speed up Switchover
Date: 2013-07-25 08:03:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi guys,
I am looking for a way of speeding up the process of switching over of
severs.
At the moment we are switching over via the trigger file, reconfiguring
our applications, patching or updating the old primary and rsyncing the
data over to the old primary.

I was wondering if there was an easier way to get the primary setup as a
secondary without having to rsync the data as it can take up to 10 hours.

The command i am using is:
rsync -azve "ssh -c blowfish" --inplace --delete /usr/local/pgsql/data/
pgsql(at)old-primary:/usr/local/pgsql/data/

We are using PostgreSQL 9.2,FreeBSD 9.1, Streaming replication and WAL
log archiving.
Thanks

TJ