Re: [v9.4] row level security

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Karol Trzcionka <karlikt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.4] row level security
Date: 2013-07-23 17:16:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/23/13 12:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Apparently it's a little much for experienced reviewers to chew on, too,
> since I've been trying to get someone to review it since the beginning
> of the Commitfest.

It's more than the available experienced reviewers are willing to chew
on fully as volunteers. The reward for spending review time is pretty
low right now.

> While I understand the call for "resources", this is a bit unfair to
> KaiGai, who has put in his time reviewing other people's patches.

If you read Dean Rasheed's comments, it's obvious he put a useful amount
of work into his review suggestions. It is not the case here that
KaiGai worked on a review and got nothing in return. Unfortunately that
has happened to this particular patch before, but the community did a
little better this time.

The goal of the CF is usually to reach one of these outcomes for every
submission:

-The submission is ready for commit
-The submission needs improvement in X

Review here went far enough to identify an X to be improved. It was a
big enough issue that a rewrite is needed, commit at this time isn't
possible, and now KaiGai has something we hope is productive he can
continue working on. That's all we can really promise here--that if we
say something isn't ready for commit yet, that there's some feedback as
to why.

I would have preferred to see multiple X issues identified here, given
that we know there has to be more than just the one in a submission of
this size. The rough fairness promises of the CommitFest seem satisfied
to me though.