Re: Fix pgstattuple/pgstatindex to use regclass-type as the argument

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
To: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix pgstattuple/pgstatindex to use regclass-type as the argument
Date: 2013-07-16 06:12:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Rushabh,

(2013/07/16 14:58), Rushabh Lathia wrote:
> Hello Satoshi,
>
> I assigned myself for the reviewer of this patch. Issue status is waiting on
> author.

Thank you for picking it up.

> Now looking at the discussion under the thread it seems like we are waiting
> for the suggestion for the new function name, right ?

Yes.

> I am wondering why actually we need new name ? Can't we just overload the
> same function and provide two version of the functions ?

I think the major reason is to avoid some confusion with old and new
function arguments.

My thought here is that having both arguments (text and regclass)
for each function is a good choice to clean up interfaces with keeping
the backward-compatibility.

> In the last thread Fujii just did the same for pg_relpages and it seems
> like an
> good to go approach, isn't it ? Am I missing anything here ?

I just posted a revised patch to handle the issue in three functions
of the pgstattuple module. Please take a look.

Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
Uptime Technologies, LLC. http://www.uptime.jp