Re: dump difference between 9.3 and master after upgrade

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dump difference between 9.3 and master after upgrade
Date: 2013-06-20 15:16:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/20/2013 10:43 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> As I was updating my cross version upgrade tester to include support for the
>> 9.3 branch, I noted this dump difference between the dump of the original
>> 9.3 database and the dump of the converted database, which looks odd. Is it
>> correct?
> It looks sketchy to me, but I'm not sure exactly what you're comparing.

Essentially, cross version upgrade testing runs pg_dumpall from the new
version on the old cluster, runs pg_upgrade, and then runs pg_dumpall on
the upgraded cluster, and compares the two outputs. This is what we get
when the new version is HEAD and the old version is 9.3.

The reason this hasn't been caught by the standard same-version upgrade
tests is that this module uses a more extensive cluster, which has had
not only the core regression tests run but also all the contrib and pl
regression tests, and this problem seems to be exposed by the
postgres_fdw tests.

At first glance to me like pg_dump in binary-upgrade mode is not
suppressing something that it should be suppressing.

The

cheers

andrew