Re: ASYNC Privileges proposal

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, chrisfarms(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: ASYNC Privileges proposal
Date: 2013-06-18 17:31:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I had a quick play to see what might be involved [attached], and would like to
>> hear people thoughts; good idea, bad idea, not like that! etc
>
> I question the usefulness of allowing listen/notify to be restricted to
> an entire class of users. The granularity of this seems too broad,
> though I am not sure if allowing message to be sent to a specific user
> is easily achievable.

Well, if we're going to have privs on LISTEN/NOTIFY at all, they should
be on specific message bands, i.e.:

REVOKE LISTEN ON 'cacheupdates' FROM PUBLIC;
GRANT LISTEN ON 'cacheupdates' TO webuser;
GRANT LISTEN ON ALL TO admin;

I can certainly see wanting this, but it'd be a great deal more
sophisticated than what Chris has proposed.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.