Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql(at)jamponi(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)
Date: 2013-06-14 17:21:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/14/13 1:06 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Why have a GUC here at all? Perhaps this was already discussed, and I
> missed it? Is it just for testing purposes, or did you intend for it to
> be in the final version?

You have guessed correctly! I suggested it stay in there only to make
review benchmarking easier.

> I started looking at this patch and it looks like we are getting a
> consensus that it's the right approach. Microbenchmarks appear to show a
> benefit, and (thanks to Noah's comment) it seems like the change is
> safe. Are there any remaining questions or objections?

I'm planning to duplicate Jon's test program on a few machines here, and
then see if that turns into a useful latency improvement for clients.
I'm trying to get this pgbench rate limit stuff working first though,
because one of the tests I had in mind for WAL creation overhead would
benefit from it.