Re: Configurable location for extension .control files

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configurable location for extension .control files
Date: 2013-06-12 07:00:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/12/2013 02:52 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Anyway, point being that PostgreSQL from Macports, Homebrew, and/or
>> EnterpriseDB's installer might be present ... and even in use.
> Perhaps you should direct those users towards http://postgresapp.com

Well, at that point they're usually already in a bit of a mess that they
don't know how to get themselves out of. They're often *also* attempting
to use Postgres.app, but struggling with issues with unix socket
directory defaults, etc. The postgres.app docs do appear to offer some
useful basic guidance for users on how to uninstalll whatever they
might've installed.

None of this is hard if you have clue what you're doing. Rebuild the Pg
gem against the right libpq by fixing your PATH so it finds the right
pg_config, set host=/tmp, or set host=localhost. Any of the three will
work. Unfortunately most of these users seem to struggle with that, and
their approach to "it didn't work" appears to be "find another
tool/tutorial and try that instead".

Sure, they're not my (or your) problem. I'd still like to see usability
in this area improve if it's possible.

The postgres.app documentation its self doesn't look quite right when it
comes to Ruby, actually. For Ruby/Rails it says the user should use "gem
install pg" but it doesn't tell them to set the PATH first, so they'll
get whatever random pg_config is on the PATH first, often Apple's
elderly Pg with its different socket directory path, etc. Sure, they can
get around that just by setting host: localhost, but it'd be nice to see
that improved so it tells them how to build their Pg gem against the
correct libpq. Or, better, has Postgres.app automatically install it for
them when they install it.