Re: corrupt pages detected by enabling checksums

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: corrupt pages detected by enabling checksums
Date: 2013-05-12 20:46:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/10/13 1:06 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Of course the paranoid DBA could turn off restart_after_crash and do a manual investigation on every crash, but in that case the database would refuse to restart even in the case where it perfectly clear that all the following WAL belongs to the recycled file and not the current file.

Perhaps we should also allow for zeroing out WAL files before reuse (or just disable reuse). I know there's a performance hit there, but the reuse idea happened before we had bgWriter. Theoretically the overhead creating a new file would always fall to bgWriter and therefore not be a big deal.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net