Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2013-03-20 03:40:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/19/13 10:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> FWIW, I would argue that any tradeoffs we make in this area must be made
> on the assumption of no such acceleration. If we can later make things
> better for Intel(TM) users, that's cool, but let's not screw those using
> other CPUs.

I see compatibility with the acceleration as a tie-breaker. If there's
two approaches that are otherwise about equal, such as choosing the
exact CRC polynomial, you might as well pick the one that works faster
with Intel's SSE. I'll make sure that this gets benchmarked soon on a
decent AMD system too though. I've been itching to assemble a 24 core
AMD box at home anyway, this gives me an excuse to pull the trigger on that.

Thanks for the summary of how you view the zlib/libpng project state. I
saw 4 releases from zlib in 2012, so it seemed possible development
might still move forward there.