Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-03-13 06:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/12/2013 06:27 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> > Think also about the case where someone wants to change multiple
>> > values together and having just some set and not others would be
>> > inconsistent.
> Yeah, that's a killer. The reload would need to be scheduled for COMMIT
> time, it can't be done by `SET PERSISTENT` directly.
Thinking about this some more, I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Right now, SET takes effect immediately. Always, without exception.
Delaying SET PERSISTENT's effects until commit would make it
inconsistent with SET's normal behaviour.

However, *not* delaying it would make it another quirky
not-transactional not-atomic command. That's OK, but if it's not going
to follow transactional semantics it should not be allowed to run within
a transaction, like VACUUM .

Writing the changes immediately but deferring the reload until commit
seems to be the worst of those two worlds.