Re: transforms

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transforms
Date: 2013-03-05 22:28:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/3/13 6:14 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Currently Peter is punting (as is proper in a new patch) by having a
> separate extension for each combination (hstore/plperl, hstore/plpython,
> ltree/plpython, etc.). This is obviously not a maintainable approach in
> the long run.

There is also a {Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.} binding for {libpq, libmysql,
libpng, libyaml, libssl, libgmp, etc.}, each as a separately
downloadable and buildable package. I don't think anyone has ever
seriously considered a system by which if, say, you have Python and
libyaml installed, pyyaml magically appears. Might be nice, but maybe
not. The solution, in practice, is that you download pyyaml, and it
pulls in any required dependencies. This would work the same way.