Re: Visual Studio 2012 RC

From: james <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2012 RC
Date: 2013-01-27 23:51:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On the contrary, only a few months ago there was a far from groundless fear that Microsoft would do just that. Following considerable outcry they changed their mind. But this is definitely not just paranoia. As for w64 support, the mingw-64 project exists more or less explicitly to produce 64 bit compilers, including those hosted on mingw/msys.

Huh. The only reason we have to use mingw64 or one of the assorted
personal builds is because 'mingw support' doesn't deliver on its own,
and last I looked there was a confusing variety of personal builds with
various strengths and weaknesses. I managed to make some progress but
we seem to be a ways off having a reference download (and ideally one
with clang too I guess).

I'd very much like there to be a good reference implementation, but the
whole mingw/mingw64 thing is indicative of some problems, and reminds me
of egcs.

You have references to back up your statements, and demonstrate that it
wasn't primarily FUD? FWIW I think the higher entry prices of pay-for
VStudio almost guarantees continued availability of a free compiler,
though it might end up slightly crippled, but I'm not a product planner
for MS any more than you are.