Re: logical changeset generation v4 - Heikki's thoughts about the patch state

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical changeset generation v4 - Heikki's thoughts about the patch state
Date: 2013-01-24 18:53:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24.01.2013 20:27, Robert Haas wrote:
> Before getting bogged down in technical commentary, let me say this
> very clearly: I am enormously grateful for your work on this project.
> Logical replication based on WAL decoding is a feature of enormous
> value that PostgreSQL has needed for a long time, and your work has
> made that look like an achievable goal. Furthermore, it seems to me
> that you have pursued the community process with all the vigor and
> sincerity for which anyone could ask. Serious design concerns were
> raised early in the process and you made radical changes to the design
> which I believe have improved it tremendously, and you've continued to
> display an outstanding attitude at every phase of this process about
> which I can't say enough good things.

+1. I really appreciate all the work you Andres have put into this. I've
argued in the past myself that there should be a little tool that
scrapes the WAL to do logical replication. Essentially, just what you've
implemented.

That said (hah, you knew there would be a "but" ;-)), now that I see
what that looks like, I'm feeling that maybe it wasn't such a good idea
after all. It sounded like a fairly small patch that greatly reduces the
overhead in the master with existing replication systems like slony, but
it turned out to be a huge patch with a lot of new concepts and interfaces.

- Heikki