Re: Making testing on Windows easier

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Making testing on Windows easier
Date: 2013-01-21 13:59:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/21/2013 08:11 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> I was never able to determine why the Windows instances were so much
>> slower than the corresponding Linux instance of the same type.
> Full vs. para-virtualisation perhaps?

No, Windows builds just are slower. For some time the buildfarm has been
reporting run times for various members, so there's plenty of data on
this. For example, nightjar and currawong are respectively FreeBSD/gcc
and WindowsXP/VC2008 members running in VMs on the same host. currawong
takes three times as long for a buildfarm run even though it's doing
less work.

cheers

andrdew