Re: Why does the query planner use two full indexes, when a dedicated partial index exists?

From: Richard Neill <rn214(at)richardneill(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does the query planner use two full indexes, when a dedicated partial index exists?
Date: 2012-12-27 16:43:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 27/12/12 16:17, Jeff Janes wrote:

> I still think your best bet is to get rid of the partial index and trade
> the full one on (parcel_id_code) for one on (parcel_id_code,exit_state).
> I think that will be much less fragile than reindexing in a cron job.

So, at the moment, I have 3 indexes:
full: parcel_id_code
full: exit_state
full: parcel_id_code where exit state is null

Am I right that when you suggest just a single, joint index
(parcel_id_code,exit_state)
instead of all 3 of the others,

it will allow me to optimally run all of the following? :

1. SELECT * from tbl_tracker WHERE parcel_id_code=22345 AND exit_state
IS NULL

(this is the one we've been discussing)

2. SELECT * from tbl_tracker where parcel_id_code=44533

3. SELECT * from tbl_tracker where exit_code = 2

(2 and 3 are examples of queries I need to run for other purposes,
unrelated to this thread, but which use the other indexes.).

Thanks,

Richard