Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

From: Alex Rice <alex_rice(at)arc(dot)to>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-07-15 21:03:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 01:30 PM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> An interesting talk back was posted to this article that parallels the
> experience of many folks with postgresql and mysql.
>
> http://phpbuilder.com/annotate/message.php3?id=1010522

OK, reading this article makes me want to throw in my .02c.

- "most web developers" have no clue about transactions, referential
integrity, triggers, stored procedures.
- "most web developers" are dealing with small applications (think
product catalogs with a couple of tables, with less than 1K rows).
- Therefore, "most web developers" happen to be in the "sweet spot" for
mysql's performance vs. it's set of features.

That's why all these web development industry zines keep saying "mysql
is best". I'm making these statements based on my experience since '96,
working in the Internet Service Provider, and web development industries.

For this to change, somehow, the average web developer needs to be
educated about the world beyond MySQL. I really really hope this
happens, somehow. Just thinking out loud...

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice(at)arc(dot)to
alrice(at)swcp(dot)com