Re: High SYS CPU - need advise

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High SYS CPU - need advise
Date: 2012-11-14 21:23:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/14/12 1:13 PM, Vlad wrote:
> Postgresql 9.1.6.
> Postgres usually has 400-500 connected clients, most of them are idle.
> Database is over 1000 tables (across 5 namespaces), taking ~150Gb on disk.

thats a really high client connection count for a 8 core system.

I'd consider implementing a connection pool (like pgbouncer), and
rewriting your client applications to connect, do a transaction,
disconnect, so the actual number of postgres connections is much lower,
say in the 16-48 range.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast