Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2012-11-12 23:02:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/12/12 4:44 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Is it absurd to suggest using another bitmap, like the FSM or visibility
> map, to store information on page checksumming while checksumming is
> enabled but incomplete?

I spent some time thinking about that last week. One problem with it is
that the bitmap structure itself has the same issues as every other
write here--how do we know it's going to disk accurately? The "put
'checksum on' bits on the page" idea and "put checksum on bits in a map"
have the same fundamental issue. Things might get out of sync in the
same way, you've just moved the potentially suspicious write to a new place.