Re: Server to run Postgresql

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: Postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server to run Postgresql
Date: 2012-11-03 23:33:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On 04/11/12 12:08, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
> I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server
> to run my Postgresql database.
> Is this even possible to do?
> If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively
> easy to set up? Windows based would be ideal.
> Bob
If you are setting up a dedicated server for Postgres, then I recommend
using Linux based distribution, as Linux is more secure and generally
performs better than Microsoft O/S's (to be honest, I don't know
anything that runs better on a Microsoft O/S that also runs on Linux)-
note that Steve Balmer (currently Microsoft's CEO) already admitted over
a year ago that Linux now dominated the sever space. Especially as
Postgres will likely to perform better on a Linux box - and
professionally, it is becoming more and more advantageous to have Linux
experience on your CV.

Cheers,
Gavin