Re: Deprecating RULES

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deprecating RULES
Date: 2012-10-17 18:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/17/12 2:31 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Then if you insist on comparing to a macro facility, as we're talking
> about dynamic code rewriting, maybe we need to compare RULEs to the lisp
> style macro facility, which is nothing like a pre-processor facility (in
> lisp, that's the reader, I think).

Except the vast majority of the audience likely have no idea what the
'lisp macro system' is like or what this comparison implies.. Even
though I dabbled in a little LISP almost 40 years ago, I don't remember
anything about LISP macros, just Assembler and C macros :)

Any such comparison should be with something that is common knowledge,
not something even more obscure than the primary subject matter.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast