Re: Deprecating RULES

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deprecating RULES
Date: 2012-10-17 17:39:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

For the record, I like RULEs and would prefer if someone fixed the
issues with them instead of deprecating them. However, I also
acknowledge that that is unlikely to happen.

> Would you or someone else be able to come up with some words of
> caution for us to put in the manual that would be helpful to
> developers?

We could start with:

=================

Warning: RULEs are tricky to use correctly and difficult to understand,
even for users with a lot of PostgreSQL experience. For most purposes,
you want a trigger<link> and not a RULE. It is also likely that the
RULEs feature will be deprecated in some future release of PostgreSQL
when all RULE functionality can be replaced by other mechanisms.

The PostgreSQL Project recommends that you use Triggers<link> instead of
RULEs unless you have a specific reason to use RULEs.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.