Re: FATAL error after a system crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Feng-Cheng Chang <breeze(at)alumni(dot)nctu(dot)edu(dot)tw>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL error after a system crash
Date: 2002-05-06 14:04:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Feng-Cheng Chang <breeze(at)alumni(dot)nctu(dot)edu(dot)tw> writes:
> when I try to
> connect to the database using either psql or JDBC, it says
> "FATAL 1: cannot open pg_variable: no such file or directory"
> and terminates the connection.

Well, if that's the only problem, you got (very) lucky. 7.1.* doesn't
actually use pg_variable, but there is still vestigial code in it that
tries to open that file during startup. All you need is an empty file
of the right name, so try

touch $PGDATA/global/1264

But I fear that'll just let you get to the next problem :-(. If Windoze
managed to lose that file, it probably managed to lose other stuff too.
If it does seem to start up okay, I'd recommend trying to do pg_dumpall,
and then initdb and reload if the dump process doesn't show errors.

> P.S.
> My system configuration:
> Win2k server
> cygwin + postgresql 7.1.3

This is not a production-grade setup IMHO. If you don't want to run
a real OS to put Postgres on top of, you'd better be a lot more
religious about backing up.