Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date: 2012-09-10 17:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> In fact, most of the folks who would want an embedded PostgreSQL
> either want no authentication at all, or only a single password.
> So supporting authentication options other than trust or md5 is
> not required, or desired AFAIK.

I don't know whether it's worth the trouble of doing so, but
serializable transactions could skip all the SSI predicate locking
and conflict checking when in single-connection mode. With only one
connection the transactions could never overlap, so there would be
no chance of serialization anomalies when running snapshot
isolation.

The reason I wonder whether it is worth the trouble is that it would
only really matter if someone had code they wanted to run under both
normal and single-connection modes. For single-connection only,
they could just choose REPEATABLE READ to get exactly the same
semantics.

-Kevin