Re: String comparision in PostgreSQL

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Nicola Cisternino <ncister(at)tiscali(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: String comparision in PostgreSQL
Date: 2012-08-30 11:15:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/30/2012 06:54 PM, Nicola Cisternino wrote:

> At this point, the solution could be a new, custom, operating system
> collation .... (something like: en_CI_US.UTF-8) ....

As far as I know - and as I said, I'm hardly an expert in Pg's guts -
there's no way to create a case insensitive collation as things stand.

Creating case insensitive collations in the C library is probably more
work than you could possibly expect, if it's even possible at all on
some platforms.

You'd have a better chance investigating whether it could be possible to
"wrap" an operating system collation with lower-casing. This is likely
to be something you will want to work with some experienced Pg
developers with, most likely on a funded work basis because you're
unlikely to find anyone who wants to implement case insensitive
collations for fun in their spare time.

If you're seriously interested in enhancing PostgreSQL to support case
insensitive collation, and you have the funds to sponsor the significant
amount of work required, you could ask on pgsql-hackers and see if
anyone's interested, or contact
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/ . This is not a
trivial job.

It will help if you are able to provide *specific* *test* *cases*
showing exactly how you think it should work, with samples showing how
it works on other specifically named products. No more hand-waving.

--
Craig Ringer