Re: 64-bit API for large object

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64-bit API for large object
Date: 2012-08-22 05:14:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 07:27 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> I found this in the TODO list:
>> Add API for 64-bit large object access
>> If this is a still valid TODO item and nobody is working on this, I
>> would like to work in this.

> Large objects are limited to 2 GB in size, so a 64-bit API doesn't sound
> very useful to me at the moment.

Not entirely. pg_largeobject.pageno is int32, but that's still 2G pages
not bytes, so there's three or so orders of magnitude that could be
gotten by expanding the client-side API before we'd have to change the
server's on-disk representation.

There might well be some local variables in the server's largeobject
code that would need to be widened, but that's the easiest part of the
job.