Identifying index files

From: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Judith Strawser <judiths(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Subject: Identifying index files
Date: 2003-09-08 18:02:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

We're building a PostGreSQL 7.3.4 system; we want to place database index
files on an external drive (for security and backup robustness); we have
seen in the documentation that is is possible to move the index files to a
new directory (after they are created) and making symbolic links to their
new location. Our problem is distinguishing the index files from data
files; does PostGreSQL have a naming convention for the index files? Or
is there any particular content we could grep for to identify these files?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston MA * New Delhi, India

David(dot)Rickard(at)GTSCompanies(dot)com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331