Re: Backport of fsync queue compaction

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backport of fsync queue compaction
Date: 2012-06-20 04:06:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/19/2012 08:41 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Josh Berkus<josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> To what version will we backport it?
>
> All supported branches, I would think.

Yeah, I would feel a lot better if this was improved in 8.3 and up. I
didn't bother trying to push it before now because I wanted both more
bad examples and some miles on 9.1 without the new code triggering any
problems from the field. Seems we're at that point now.

I fear a lot of people are going to stay on 8.3 for a long time even
after it's officially unsupported. It's been hard enough to move some
people off of 8.1 and 8.2 even with the carrot of "8.3 will be much
faster at everything". I fear 8.3 is going to end up like 7.4, where a
7 year long support window passes and people are still using it years later.